[Skip to content]
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
Music Production and Performance
Undergraduate course
BA (Hons)

Music Production and Performance

Overview

This course is for musicians who want to realise their potential in contemporary production and develop their ability to perform live. It concentrates on four themes: performance (group and individual), composition and arrangement, technology and production, and contextual studies.

You will work alongside students and staff both in the studio and at live music venues, building a portfolio that will help you achieve your professional ambitions as a musician. Previous students have performed at events including the Live at Leeds festival, which attracts thousands of visitors to venues across the city every year.

Research Excellence Framework 2014
Research Excellence Framework 2014: our University demonstrated strength in five emerging areas of research which it entered into the assessment for the first time, including in music, drama, dance and performing arts.
This is a practical course where you will work in conjunction with students from music production in the studios as well as working in live venues. Over the three years of the course, you will build a portfolio of experience to help you achieve your ambitions after graduation.

You will have access to our guest lectures and workshops from professionals through our links with JAMES (Joint Audio Media Education Support) and the Music Producers Guild. You also have the option to gain invaluable work experience through a placement year in industry and you will have the opportunity to work with external clients in your final year. You are encouraged to perform externally in the many venues that Leeds has to offer.

You will have the opportunity to meet and learn from top-name artists and producers. One of our Senior Lecturers, Ken Scott, has more than 50 years of music production experience working with artists including The Beatles and David Bowie, and in 2016 our students worked at the Audio & Radio Industry Awards, rubbing shoulders with artists such as Kaiser Chiefs and Gregory Porter.

Course Features

• Professional accreditations
  • Specialist facilities
  • Study abroad option
  • Expert careers service
  • 24/7 Library
  • University accommodation
  • TEF Silver Award

Careers

Rob Green

Careers

Rob Green
Performer & recording artist

BA (Hons) Art Event Performance (now Performance)

“My tutors were all practising artists and they really pushed me to develop myself within the current arts scene - I even negotiated a record deal that enabled me to release my EP after I graduated. One of my tracks was then named BBC 1Xtra Track of the Week. I'm now launching my third EP and every day my career is shaped by the varied skills I gained at University.

Modules & learning

Download Course Spec Download
Music in Context

Music Performance Technologies

Composition & Music Theory

Audio Production Techniques

Music Performance Techniques

Digital Media in Music

Analysing Production & Performance

Studio Recording Techniques

Live Music Performance

Composing & Arranging

Music Industry

Music Performance Project

Music Performance in Practice

Studio Production Practice

Music Performance

Music Independent Project

Music for Film & TV

Contemporary Arranging Techniques

Song Writing & Production

Electro-Acoustic Composition

Kenny Jenkins
Kenny Jenkins
Senior Lecturer

Kenny Jenkins, is a musician and educator, whose practice is grounded in social, political, and cultural critique, but sees his principal function as encouraging students to explore and develop their own ideas.

This is a course that, should it have existed when I was applying to university, would have been the one I would have chosen.
Play BA (Hons) Music Production & Performance - Amanda Belle, Student Video
BA (Hons) Music Production & Performance - Amanda Belle, Student
Play Students working with Tom Williams as part of the Artist in Residence programme Video
Students working with Tom Williams as part of the Artist in Residence programme
Play BA (Hons) Music Production & Performance - Kenny Jenkins, Senior Lecturer Video
BA (Hons) Music Production & Performance - Kenny Jenkins, Senior Lecturer

Fees & funding

Facilities

• Music Studios
    Music Studios

Write, mix, produce and record your own music in our state-of-the-art studios. You will be following in the footsteps of BRIT Award-winning musicians Piers Aggett and Kesi Dryden, of Rudimental, who both studied at the University.

• Headingley Campus
    Headingley Campus

Our historic Headingley Campus is set in 100 acres of parkland with easy access to Leeds city centre.

• Library
    Library

Our Library is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year, providing you with access to specialist books and journals, learning spaces, computers, multimedia facilities and media equipment hire. Tens of thousands of our Library's digital resources, including ebooks, ejournals and databases, can be accessed online at a time and place to suit you.

• Gym and Sports Facilities
    Gym and Sports Facilities

Keeping fit is easy at Leeds Beckett - our fitness suites are easy to get to, kitted out with all the latest technology and available to all sports members.

Map

Want to know more?

Start exploring

We host a range of on campus and virtual open days throughout the year, giving you the opportunity to discover life at Leeds Beckett University. Find out more about your course, financing your studies, our range of accommodation and the vibrant city of Leeds.

Open Days & Virtual Events Arrow Right Icon Explore Leeds Arrow Right Icon Accommodation Arrow Right Icon

Back to Top Button
Back to Top Button