Focusing on the three main themes of science, policy and practice, you will understand how to implement a variety of health intervention programmes to increase physical activity - including sport, exercise, play and human movement - and how this is important for enhancing health and preventing diseases amongst a range of social groups.
By using scientific and other types of evidence you will learn how to be an effective coach and identify the needs of different priority groups - ranging from children to the elderly.
You will also learn how to design and deliver sport, physical activity and exercise programmes that can have a lasting and positive impact on people's lives.
Some of our recent students have worked on some exciting and beneficial projects including, investigations into the promotion of men's health through premier league football clubs, the effectiveness of programmes designed to impact risk factors for diabetes or obesity, and physical activity and health programmes in the workplace.
At the start of the year you can go on a one-week group study residential. This will be a chance to meet new friends and take part in a number of challenges to develop your problem solving and team working skills. Activities can include rock climbing, gorge scrambling, mountaineering, walking, canoeing and kayaking.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
Research Excellence Framework 2014: twice as many of our staff - 220 - were entered into the research assessment for 2014 compared to the number entered in 2008.
You will develop the key skills recognised by employers which include communication, information technology, personal development, problem solving and teamwork. Furthermore, you will gain the leadership and planning skills to design your own physical activity schemes which effectively prescribe and promote healthy lifestyle initiatives which tackle obesity, cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
On top of this you can boost your CV by gaining nationally recognised sporting qualifications such as Coaching Certificates and gym and personal trainer qualifications, which are both available at the University.
This course focuses on planning your future career and developing an impressive CV. Through our extensive industry networks, we will help you to organise work experience opportunities which best suit your future career ambitions. Previous students have taught in primary and secondary schools, coached groups from different backgrounds, worked on healthy eating initiatives, research projects, and have also done placements abroad at weight loss clinics and camps.
SPORT VOLUNTEERING OPPORTUNITIES
We offer volunteering opportunities for anyone with an interest in sport. If you want to stay ahead of the game and have a competitive advantage in the job market then sport volunteering is an ideal way to gain extra knowledge and skills on top of your degree. Volunteering is a huge advantage if you want to pursue a career in the sports industry - and it will look great on your CV.
SPORT AND ACTIVE LIFESTYLES
We're passionate about sport and at Leeds Beckett University, there's a huge range of sports and activities for you to get involved in, including more than 40 sports clubs. If you'd like to find out more about what we have to offer - including the Carnegie Sports Scholarship Scheme - take a look at the Sport & Active Lifestyles website.
- Specialist facilities
- Real-life projects
- Study abroad option
- Expert careers service
- 24/7 Library
- University accommodation
- TEF Silver Award
- 95.7% of students said they had the right opportunities to provide feedback on the course (National Student Survey 2017).
- 93.5% of students thought the course enable them to bring information and ideas together from different topics, and thought staff were good at explaining things (National Student Survey 2017).
- 91.3% of students said they had opportunities to explore ideas or concepts in depth, and felt staff valued their views and opinions about the course (National Student Survey 2017)
MSc Sport & Exercise Science & BSc (Hons) Sport & Exercise Science
I got my position through an internship which was available from one of the links between the University and Leeds United.
Modules & learning
- Scientific Foundations of Human Movement & Physical Activity
- Introduction to Research & Study Skills for Sport, Physical Activity & Health
- Introduction to Sport, Physical Activity & Health
- Scientific Foundations of Human Behaviour & Nutrition for Sport & Physical Activity
- Applied Exercise Teaching
- Leadership of Physical Activity & Exercise in Young People
- Science of Physical Activity & Health for Children & Young People
- Principles & Practice of Physical Activity & Public Health
- Research Methods in Sport, Physical Activity & Health
- Science of Physical Activity & Health for Adults & Older Adults
- Professional Development in Sport, Physical Activity & Health
- Exercise for Referred Populations
- Working with Children in Physical Education
- Physical Activity Interventions for Young People
- Physical Activity Interventions for Adults & Older Adults
- Dissertation in Physical Activity & Health, Physical Education, Sports Coaching, & Sport & Exercise Science
- Contemporary Health Issues & Physical Activity Rehabilitation
- Obesity Management
- Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation
- Special Educational Needs & Disability in Physical Education
We recruit students who really want to make a difference, teaching them how to design, deliver and evaluate successful physical activity and health interventions to achieve their goals and improve people's lives.
Fees & funding
Library and online resources
Our Library is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, every day of the year, providing you with access to specialist books and journals, learning spaces, computers, multimedia facilities and media equipment hire. Tens of thousands of our Library's digital resources, including ebooks, ejournals and databases, can be accessed online at a time and place to suit you.